To Mac or not to Mac… that is the question.

I have always been an avid hater of Macbooks for as long as I can remember. I have always seen them as ridiculously overpriced for the hardware the consumer receives.

For example, the 13″ entry non-retina Macbook Pro has:

• An Intel i5 dual core processor @ 2.5Ghz.
  • 4GB RAM.
  • 500GB HD.
  • Intel HD4000 GPU.
  • Some sort of apple operating system.

and costs £859.20 with the student discount.

My current laptop which cost me £399 brand new which I have had for almost 2 years has:

• The same Intel i5 dual core processor @ 2.5Ghz.
  • 6GB RAM.
  • 750GB HD.
  • Intel HD4000 GPU.
  • Windows 7 64-bit.

However, almost everybody I know – Computer Scientists & non-Computer Scientists – have recommended that I ‘upgrade’ (ironic, right?) to a Macbook and that it is worth the extra £460. So, I decided to put this theory to the test and see what conclusions I could come to.

1. Build quality – When I compare my Samsung £399 laptop to the Macbook Pro, it’s safe to say that my Samsung feels like a plastic baby toy as opposed to the Mac’s lovely, slick aluminium casing. The Mac’s keyboard feels solid, sturdy and has a fancy light coming through the bottom to ensure it is usable without a light on.
  2. Lag – I’ve had many laptops in my time and all of them need to be reformatted at least once a year to ensure they remain fast and smooth. Mac’s don’t seem to have that problem. I know there are a lot of supposed fixes out there for the wretched Windows lags such as reducing the number of applications that run at the OS startup, however there’s no denying how much junk Windows manages to accumulate for no apparent reason.
  3. Near to no viruses, trojans, spyware, etc – This isn’t an important factor to me for reasons I can’t really explain. I guess when you know what you’re doing on a computer, it is very difficult to actually fall for virus/spyware related traps. All you need is a decent firewall & anti virus!
  4. The retina screen – The retina screen isn’t something I consider as a real extra feature over an equivalent Windows laptop, firstly because I’m not comparing that Macbook Pro in the first place. Secondly because I’ve never actually seen a Windows laptop with a similar quality monitor to compare.

…and that just about wraps up this blog post. I plan on getting a new laptop but what do people think? Do I go all out and gamble on the Macbook or do I go for a Windows Ultrabook? Let me know what you think in the comments.

Karam

About Karam

Karam has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Karam and I'm a second year BSc Computing student here at the University of Leicester. I'm also this year's Computer Science sports secretary and possess a strong love for the beautiful game that is of course football. I can speak English, Arabic, HTML, PHP, SQL, VB.NET & Java…

View more posts by Karam

Subscribe to Karam's posts