Eating, Sleeping & Drinking Football…

Olé, olé, olé!
The World Cup is finally upon us and even if it isn’t a big deal for you… it is for me!

Who do you support? Who do you think will win? Which teams have impressed you so far? What teams have surprised you so far?

Personally, as always, I’m supporting England. I think we have an exciting young squad and have taken the right approach in choosing to give the youngsters experience over taking a team full of run down pensioners to Brazil. Most importantly, anyone with a sane mind should really have no expectation for the team. For once we might actually be able to enjoy a world cup because we don’t feel like we have to win any silverware and are genuine underdogs within the tournament.
I was surprised by the reaction of a lot of people regarding the result against Italy. I thought we played very well and conceded two very scrappy goals, particularly the first which was very unlike the English to concede from a set piece such as a corner. I was also surprised we didn’t have someone like Henderson man marking Pirlo because he pulled the strings again just as he did against us in 2012.
If we look at the match stats, we almost matched Italy and it was a very even game. Even though we finished 0-0 after 90 minutes two years ago at the Euros, Italy outplayed us and were ten times the team we were. You can argue it’s the final score that counts but let’s be honest, we were extremely lucky to draw in the first place as it could’ve been 3-0 Italy by halftime. So I really don’t understand those who ranted about how poor our performance was…
As for the Rooney dilemma, we all know he prefers to play down the middle. Raheem Sterling said in an interview after the Italy game that he prefers to play on the wing, so you’d think it’d be a no brainer for Roy wouldn’t you?

Anyways, I predict we might be able to get a draw out of the Uruguay game as long as we don’t concede any sloppy goals – since we never really ever seem to concede good unpreventable goals.
I’ll put my neck on the line and say 1-1. Leaving both Uruguay & England on 1 point a piece in the group, meaning Uruguay will have to beat Italy & England will have to beat Costa Rica… this is all assuming Italy beat Costa Rica too of course.

So, what do you think the score will be? Will England actually go through to the last 16 or will Roy Hodgson re-write history (in a negative manner of course)? Let me know.

Karam

About Karam

Karam has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Karam and I'm a second year BSc Computing student here at the University of Leicester. I'm also this year's Computer Science sports secretary and possess a strong love for the beautiful game that is of course football. I can speak English, Arabic, HTML, PHP, SQL, VB.NET & Java…

View more posts by Karam

Subscribe to Karam's posts