My year in industry… so far

No regrets, as it currently stands.

Admittedly, it would’ve been nice to have more than just 2 weeks of a summer holiday after the tiresome & hectic second year at University. But at the end of the day, I guess a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do!

The funny thing is that I never planned to do a year in industry nor was I signed up to the ‘year in industry’ variant of my course. I even applied to my current workplace after I had sorted out my accommodation in Leicester (which of course was meant to be for my 3rd year) with my mate who too would be going into his 3rd year on the same course.

I don’t think the reality hit me – concerning how beneficial a year in industry might be – until I started looking in to exemplar third year projects. Particularly considering the fact that your third year project is worth 40 credits of your third year… which is worth 60% of your overall degree. I’ve always loved web technologies over standard software. By that I mean, I would rather create a cool program/script/function in Javascript than create the exact same thing as a standalone program in Java.

I also like to think that deep down I have some sort of creative side within me and that it can be unleashed a lot better through the means of HTML & CSS than god-damn WindowBuilder in Eclipse! But anyways. Long story short, I received an e-mail from the University mentioning an intern web developer position at a local company in Leicester was available. I applied and now I’m writing this during my lunch break to urge you guys to seriously consider doing the same (the same as in a year in industry, not to come to my office, sit next to me, nick a PC and rewrite what I’m doing).

One thing that is worth mentioning is that should you choose to do a year in industry, you will be expected to find your own placement. DO NOT expect the department/university to find it for you. A lot of my coursemates signed up to the year in industry variant expecting the latter… then gave up because they quite simply couldn’t be bothered sorting out their CV & applying to places.

Anyways, that’s it from me for this blog post. Feel free to ask anything you want in the comments down below 🙂

Karam

About Karam

Karam has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Karam and I'm a second year BSc Computing student here at the University of Leicester. I'm also this year's Computer Science sports secretary and possess a strong love for the beautiful game that is of course football. I can speak English, Arabic, HTML, PHP, SQL, VB.NET & Java…

View more posts by Karam

Subscribe to Karam's posts

2 responses to “My year in industry… so far”

1. Richa

Hello! 🙂
    I’m planning on doing my majors in Computer Science…
    Even though I haven’t taken Science/Math in my last 2 years of high school (11th and 12th, Can I apply for this major?
    Thanks!