The ongoing battle so far

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven’t blogged in ages, but I was unfortunately ill for some time and was sent home from work for about a month until the lovely NHS figured out what was wrong with me (pssst… they got there in the end!) – after bombarding me with different antibiotics every week of course.

Hopefully now I’m back and ready to rumble with some more blog posts about my life as a web developer intern.
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before in a previous blog post however half way through your year in industry you get visited by someone from University to check up on you, the place you’re working and to have a chat with you. Mine occurred last week and all went as smooth as a whistle (as far as I know of course – unless my manager secretly tore me a new one behind my back and told them how bad of an employee I really am – just kidding).

As for the working I’ve been doing, same old same old really. At the moment I seem to be touching a bit of everything depending on the task. Last week for example, two days I found myself working on a large function in PHP then 24 hours later probably suddenly made a full 180′ turn to converting a .pdf design our designer made in to an actual functional validating front end design give or take the customary javascript (which is absolute HELL when it comes to tracing down bugs). I feel certain the statement¬†“Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function” is one I will be having unfortunate nightmares about for years – if you’re unsure what it refers to, look it up. I also find myself dabbling with the SQL database through MySQL workbench from time to time too. I actually used an inner join in a practical real world scenario for the first time in my life two weeks ago. It felt good, particularly since the general consensus was that most joins are useless but ‘had’ to be learnt for our 1st year database module.

Short term wise, I’m still unsure whether I will look to actually utilise any of the new skills I have learnt on my year in industry in my third year project as I’m still unsure what I will be looking to do. I may very well consider doing a Java web application or something along those lines as I could then use Java for the back-end, HTML/CSS for the front-end, Javascript for any fancy client sided stuff I might wanna execute (or just to make the front-end look fancy with things flying around all over the screen to the point my project supervisor will want me killed), even though it would probably be somewhat easier to use PHP. Heck, I might not even end up doing anything web related anyways but I am looking forward to receiving the list of third year projects some time around March/April.

But that’s gonna be it for this blog, glad to be back and hopefully I can start to become a bit more proficient in my posts. What about you guys? What have you been up to? Let me know in the comments below.

Karam

About Karam

Karam has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Karam and I'm a second year BSc Computing student here at the University of Leicester. I'm also this year's Computer Science sports secretary and possess a strong love for the beautiful game that is of course football. I can speak English, Arabic, HTML, PHP, SQL, VB.NET & Java…

View more posts by Karam

Subscribe to Karam's posts