Flat Design – taking web design by storm.

Hey guys,

So for this blog (before I complete last months blog’s follow up as promised), I want to take a look at flat design.
Now for anyone who has no idea what flat design is, here is a quick example I mocked up:

flat-vs-before-flat

Which one do you prefer?

I’d assume if you’re not a techie like myself, the variant on the left will look very familiar to you, particularly in this day and age where everything seems to be indeed following the flat, simplistic, trendy look. Those of you of a slightly older generation might notice how the ‘FLAT’ side looks much like the new iOS7/8 design whilst the ‘BEFORE FLAT’ side might remind you of iOS6.

Source: http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ios-6-vs-ios-7-homescreens.jpg

Believe it or not, these same design trends applied to most websites too, even Google!

Source: http://blog.saijogeorge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Google-Before-After-Logo.jpg

In fact alongside Apple, Microsoft too were one of the first market leaders to apply the flat design to their product interfaces. Windows 8 for example – love it or hate it, it looks nice however most of the hate is due to the awkwardness of adaptation for people who have been using the older operating system style for years.

Source: http://nerdsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/11.jpg

Granted the above image doesn’t exactly show a fair comparison as they’re not showing the exact same thing (because Windows 8 works differently) however from a design perspective and how the flat look has been utilised by Windows 8, we can see the difference.

But anyways, let’s get to the point. Why is flat design suddenly so popular?

1. Flat design is simple making it resultantly easier to both implement for developers & create for designers.
  2. Flat design is very colourful, unlike the internet of old and due to its popularity, has become a trend and therefore now is the modern approach.
  3. Flat design due to its simplicity most of the time results in an easier interface for users.
  4. Flat design allows for simpler implementation of efficient responsive design (ensuring sites display well on different platforms – PC, mobile, tablet, etc.)
  5. Flat design being very clean results in faster load times due to smaller stylesheets and less graphics.
  6. Due to how it has become the modern approach, many designers and youngsters of the new generation have become accustomed to flat design and continue utilising it.

So, what’s your take on flat design? Like it? Dislike it? Let me know in the comments below!

Karam

About Karam

Karam has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Karam and I'm a second year BSc Computing student here at the University of Leicester. I'm also this year's Computer Science sports secretary and possess a strong love for the beautiful game that is of course football. I can speak English, Arabic, HTML, PHP, SQL, VB.NET & Java…

View more posts by Karam

Subscribe to Karam's posts