Generic Top Level Domains… but not as you know them.

So according to the news, Google have purchased the “.app” gLTD for over $25M (roughly around £16M). If you don’t know what a gLTD is, it’s similar to a “.com” or “.co.uk” suffix on web domains. So now, technically nobody can own a “.app” domain without technically being sold one or rather being given permission by Google.

The question at hand now is were Google really that rich or desperate for a “.app” domain to the point where they didn’t care how much it was going to cost them? Or is there another underlying plan?

Well, believe it or not, there is an underlying plan.
Google announced earlier this year that they were planning on creating their own domain registration service – such as GoDaddy (who apparently generated around $1.1BILLION in revenue last year). Basically, a company that sells domain names to people and receives a fee in return.

So, now that Google own the “.app” domain, what are the benefits?
Well, it’s simple. Imagine the thousands of applications (mobile apps in particular) out there with websites or even those without a website. Imagine the potential sales for the cheesy domain name “www.whats.app” for example. Now that Google own the domain they can sell it and will most likely make more than their money back if enough people are interested in this domain suffix.

Is it just Google who are doing this? No, not at all.
https://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/auctionresults

Some of these prices are ridiculous. For example, .baby alone going for over $3m.

What do you think about this? I’m a huge fan of domain hacks but is this a sustainable business model? I have my own rough idea, but I want to hear yours first! 🙂

Karam

About Karam

Karam has now retired from blogging. Hello everyone! My name is Karam and I'm a second year BSc Computing student here at the University of Leicester. I'm also this year's Computer Science sports secretary and possess a strong love for the beautiful game that is of course football. I can speak English, Arabic, HTML, PHP, SQL, VB.NET & Java…

View more posts by Karam

Subscribe to Karam's posts

2 responses to “Generic Top Level Domains… but not as you know them.”

1. Pal

Yes, this sounds like a very legitimate business. A few years back it was about domain name, now it is about top level domains.