What a year!

2012 has been a huge year. For many it would have been all about finishing A levels and moving on to University, for others it will be all about finishing uni and what to do afterwards. However, 2012 in general has had a lot of excitement right the way through the year, which I would like to reflect on.

100th Anniversary of the Titanic: This year commemorated the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the titanic, which helped us remember those who lost their lives on what was thought to be an unsinkable ship. The irony of this event is that we also encountered another ship sinking in the Mediterranean when the Costa Concordia sank on the coast killing 32 people. (Reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16563562 )

Queens Golden jubilee: To mark the Queens 60th year on the thrown, celebrations were organised across England. I remember my street had a party and we all played games, ate, and we all got our jubilee hats and banners out in order to make it a real party for everyone. Many street parties occurred over England, which I think can bring communities closer, as people have an event where they can get to know each other.

Whitney Houston: Unfortunately, this year was also the year we (in my opinion) lost one of the greatest singers ever. Whitney Houston died in February, which came as a huge surprise to many, as she had only recently reappeared in the music business.

Olympics: 2012 was definitely well known for the Olympics! There are far too many great things about the Olympics for me to list them all, however, some of my favourite bits were the opening ceremony, the torch being carried through my home town and the dedication of the thousands of volunteers needed to make the event successful. Not only all this, but the success of many athletes such as Jessica Ennis, Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy, as well as many others who made the Olympics memorable and proud to be British.

The man who jumped from space: Felix Baumgartner jumped from twenty four miles upwards into the earth’s atmosphere and is known as the man who jumped from space. The picture of when he jumped is cemented in my mind, as I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when I first heard about this story. (Reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19947159 )

The end of the world: December was supposed to bring the end of the world because the Mayan calendar only went up until this time. Many people around the world were convinced the apocalypse was coming and so made many preparations, such as end of the world parties, moving in to underground bunkers with survival food etc. in case they survived. However, the end of the world never happened (surprise surprise!), and we are all still here as a result.

Overall, I am sure 2012 had a lot more exciting and interesting events which I have not mentioned but I think it was a pretty good year! I think I will always remember 2012 as the year to be “proud to be British” due to the amount of achievements we have had as a nation. I am hoping 2013 will bring new stories, new events, new inventions and many new memories… bring it on 2013!

Hannah

About Hannah

Hannah graduated from the University in Summer 2013 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Hannah

Subscribe to Hannah's posts