One big piece of research!

Hello readers! So last week I had the mammoth task of sending out my survey for my dissertation. You would think this would be the easy part of a dissertation, however, I realised after attempting to write up my survey online that I had to pay (hurdle one). Also, I am awful with any technology; to be honest I can barely work a smart phone, but the process of teaching myself how set up a survey properly took me in the region of two days (hurdle two)! However, once I had the hang of it I was off, I managed to send out my survey and have so far got quite a few people to respond to it. I think there is always a worry with students who are doing dissertations that no one will want to take part in their research, which really would leave someone in a pickle. Hence, I would encourage you all to take part in any dissertation research because one day it may be you who needs the participants! Anyway, at the moment I’m just waiting for my data to be collected and then I can eventually start analysing and discussing my findings, which will ultimately lead me to the finish line (I cannot wait!).

On Friday I attended a talk on the biggest piece of research on hate crime to be carried out in England, which is being done by the University of Leicester’s Criminology department. It is called the Leicester Hate Crime Project and I am hoping to be involved in collecting the data, which will eventually be a big influence on how hate crime is viewed and dealt with in the future. Hate crime is defined as: “Hate crime involves any criminal offence which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a personal characteristic.” (Home Office, 2013). Currently, UK policy only counts race, religion, sexual orientation, transgender and disability within the term ‘hate crime’, but the project looks at many more groups in society who can be victimised. For example, the elderly, the homeless, refugees, gypsy’s, people with ginger hair and people who have alternative styles can all be victimised for being who they are. It was only recently in the news of how a man was attacked simply because he was ginger. I think the research will generate lots of opposing views to the issue of hate crime, yet I also think it will give insight into the experiences of victims of hate crime. The research is not set to be finished until 2014, which just shows how big the research will eventually be. I am personally very interested in the outcome of the project, as I’m sure many other criminologists, as I am doing a hate crime module in criminology this semester. I hope you all have a great week and to anyone who wants to know more about the Leicester Hate Crime Project let me know.

Home Office (2013) Hate Crime  http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime/hate-crime/ (accessed 10/02/2013

Hannah

About Hannah

Hannah graduated from the University in Summer 2013 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Hannah

Subscribe to Hannah's posts