A Long Overdue Update

Back when I began writing this blog, I didn’t really think that I would be quite this busy. But I have, and I have neglected this. That said, I am sure my course tutors would much rather I put more effort into assignments than blog entries! With this in mind, it is fair to say that I have had a bit of a journey. Although it was easy at the time to just get on with things and shrug my shoulders, it has perhaps been more of a challenge than I initially realised. Many individuals I speak to can hardly believe it possible to work shifts full-time with not many five day weeks and study to degree level. It is possible, but you have to be fully committed, both to the workload and indeed to the degree itself. For this reason I would urge everyone, whether distance learning, full or part time to really think about what degree you choose. The fantastic thing about many degrees, and particularly the FdA Security and Risk Management (in fact, Foundation Degrees in general) are that you can explore a wide range of subjects without having to delve into any particular area. Some topics will of course bore you to death, but just to get through and succeed in writing about them is an achievement in itself. I found that areas I developed an interest in weren’t always necessarily those I would have previously chosen.

After everything, I passed my Foundation Degree with merit. I am immensely proud that considering what I have been through, I managed to give it my all and received my certificate at the picturesque De Montfort Hall in Leicester.

To anyone who is given such an opportunity to study via distance learning, I’d say just do it. To pass up on the chance to grow as an individual on a professional, academic and even personal level is something I will never forget. I am grateful to the University and everyone on the course, especially administrators, convenor and tutors; to my partner for listening to me drone on about the finer points of crime prevention; to colleagues for allowing me to study in the quiet hours at work; to my manager for recommending and supporting me throughout; to my employer for providing financial support without which I would have struggled; to friends for understanding my unsociable habits; fellow students who have posted helpful topics on BlackBoard. If I’ve missed anyone out, my apologies.

Now, at the end of one journey, another begins. I am currently preparing for the final 18 months where I will return to Leicester University to complete my BA. The excitement of graduation has certainly spurred me on and I cannot wait to continue with my studies, and of course to share my experience with you all.

Stacy

About Stacy

Stacy has now graduated from the University of Leicester. My name is Stacy and I am studying Security and Risk Management by distance learning. I’m based in London and work full-time in the public sector. My blog will give you a sense of what you can expect when studying by distance learning, but if there’s anything in particular you’d like me to cover, just let me know. Stacy has now graduated from the University of Leicester.

View more posts by Stacy

Subscribe to Stacy's posts