Dissertation Crunch time!

As a 3rd year, the ‘Dissertation’ is a thing of dread and early in 2014 is when most of the work has to be put in. My dissertation is on the Police in relation to mental health, and unlike some other students this work is not based on personal research (by making questionnaires for example). However, this doesn’t mean that it has been any easier! A key part of my dissertation is on the recent Mental Health triage scheme run by Leicestershire Police, while recent developments incorporated into work shows good awareness on behalf of the student it means that any academic information on it may be very hard to find. This has been the case specifically for me, as this pilot study has had restrictions and only limited analysis on the subject.

However, I have been lucky enough to personally speak to and meet a Police Officer who works on the pilot scheme which has been a great help and has enabled me to gain a lot of extra information. This has been largely down to being proactive in finding names, email addresses and other contact details, but also help from my department. The Department of Criminology at Leicester, like many other departments, has links with various individuals in different organisations. This gives students the opportunity to speak to and gain information within organisations that may otherwise have been an elongated and difficult process. This is well worth remembering when doing your dissertation.

As my countdown on my phone tells me, Dissertation hand in is now just 46days away!

Blank lined notebook page with pen

Time to crack on!

Thomas

About Thomas

Thomas graduated from the University of Leicester in the summer of 2014 and is no longer blogging for this site. Thomas was blogging about life as a third year Criminology student, current affairs, and life here in Leicester

View more posts by Thomas

Subscribe to Thomas's posts