Dancesport Team

Hello everybody! I’ve actually realized that I never told you much about the Dancesport society for which I was the treasurer for the year passed. So this blog will be entirely dedicated to the Dancesport Team. Four reasons why you should join this society:

•    You will learn to dance. We have two professional teachers who are very good in what they do and they definitely love it. There are the competitive classes (beginners & novice) which focus on the 4 dances which are performed in the competitions (waltz, quickstep, cha cha and jive) and the fun classes with a bigger variety of latin and ballroom dances. This year we have introduced salsa classes as well and since they were a huge success I believe the new committee will keep them running. By the end of the first semester you will know a complete routine of the dances!

•    You will make new friends. I still remember my first time with the team. The committee started a discussion with me, tried to find me a partner to dance with and in general they did anything out of their hands to make me feel welcome and member of the team. We built so good relations and we were like a family. For example, many times we would go for a drink after the dance lesson/practice. Knowing the new committee, I assure you that this will be the case next year as well. Dancers can be very competitive but not snob!

•    One of the cheapest sport societies. Although the semester fees for the lessons is the decision of the new committee I can assure you that they won’t exceed the £30. This is a very good bargain and anyone who has ever asked for dance lesson prices before can see this. On top of that, you will have to buy dance shoes and your competition clothes (which can always be done a bit later). Lastly, if you wish to attend some competitions you will have to pay a small fee for the transport and the entry fee but this is always subsidized by the society.

•    Who doesn’t want to attend the nationals in Blackpool? The Winter Gardens is an amazing venue to dance in. It is a once in a lifetime experience. The only evidence I can give is the picture below but apart from that you will have to take my word.

Winter Gardens, Blackpool

Pantelis

About Pantelis

Pantelis graduated from the University in Summer 2013 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Pantelis

Subscribe to Pantelis's posts