Catching Up

It’s been a while since I last wrote a blog so I guess it’s time for a catch up on what I’ve been up to. I was bogged down with finishing project work as term drew to a close so a quick visit home was on the cards almost immediately. I returned to Leicester soon after Easter since I’ve always been more productive when working in the library but also because I had several things to do. The first was a visit to Bristol to attend the ACCIS Doctoral Training Centre Conference 2012. Next year, assuming I get the grades, I’ll be moving to Bristol to pursue a 4 year PhD course in advanced composite materials. I visited the centre previously in February for an interview and a chance to look around but attending the conference allowed me to ‘network’ with several of the industrial collaborators as well as the current cohort which were showcasing there work. It’s a weird feeling coming to the end of my time here at Leicester and moving onto another 4 years elsewhere. When you reach the final year it’s important to start applying for jobs/PhDs almost straight away when you graduate but most won’t be confirmed until February/March depending on the interview process. I’ve had several friends start confirming jobs that were applied for in November/December.

Aside from this I was also recently involved in working as a mentor at a ‘Rockets and Robots’ summer school at university. It is a residential summer school for children in year 10 with the ability to pursue further education but coming from somewhat disadvantaged backgrounds in the Leicestershire area. It involved a day in engineering building a robot and a day in physics building a robot as well as attending various taster sessions. In engineering one of the sessions involved using x-ray computer tomography to defuse a ‘bomb’ by determining the correct key/combination for a lock and the correct connections to make on a circuit board to light green LEDs as opposed to red. The day in physics ended with all the children launching their rockets which were mostly recovered. Unfortunately Merv’s Marvellous Machine, a joint effort between the mentors, was last seen heading towards the clouds and lost shortly after. Aside from the weather I very much enjoyed it as it was a good break from project work and revision. Well that’s all from me for now, I better get back to revision and deciding what to do for summer. Don’t forget to keep up with the Formula One as this is promising to be a very exciting season.

Matthew

About Matthew

Matthew graduated from the University of Leicester in Summer 2012 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Matthew

Subscribe to Matthew's posts