Almost There

Graduation is right round the corner and I have now packed up and left Leicester. Since my previous blog post I have sat my final exam, given my final presentation and had a couple of relaxing weeks.  It has involved a day trip to Alton Towers, an evening/picnic while watching Tim Minchin (clicky for those who want to know) and several evenings of socialiasing.  This concluded with the Summer Ball (or Summer FestiBall) last weekend and a frenzy of cleaning/packing/moving out of Leicester this week.  Its a nice feeling knowing that I have finished now and I am looking forward to graduation (as well as Silverstone the weekend prior).

Recently, I also assisted in a GSTEM event at the university which invites Year 12 students to the campus to try their hand at taster sessions in various subjects.  The engineering department played host to “Engineering – a scientific revolution” and the activities included assembling and discussing the principles behind motors, both pneumatic and electrical.  These outreach events enable students to experience university life in small doses, as it is distinctly different from being at school.  When I was in Year 12 I was involved in Engineering Education Scheme England (EESE) which involved a small team of students collaborating with industry in order to design a solution to a problem. Several days were spent at the University of Leicester towards the end of the scheme in order to construct and test prototype models, for our group this revolved around the lifting and loading mechanisms for cabins and containers.  It is most definitely a worthwhile scheme and helped guide me towards studying engineering.

Matthew

About Matthew

Matthew graduated from the University of Leicester in Summer 2012 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Matthew

Subscribe to Matthew's posts