End of the Summer

One thing you will get used to being a Student is the long summers and, this one is now drawing to a close. Some people complain about how bored they get during the long holiday but  this year i have been kept so busy with work, holidays and other things, that it feels like just last week that I left Leicester. As a treat for working so hard over the summer, last weekend I traveled to Edinburgh for a long weekend away as I’ve always wanted to visit the city.

I went with someone else and the two of us decided the best form of transport was to fly, due to it being slightly cheaper and a lot quicker than the train or driving. So as to make the most of the weekend we picked the earliest flight possible, having to get up at 2:30 am to get to Gatwick for our 6 am flight. The weather wasn’t great when we first arrived but that didn’t stop us going exploring! The first thing to strike us was how impressive the architecture of the old city was, with the Scot monument and Edinburgh castle looking over the whole city. Edinburgh castle is a must see. It has views over the whole city and a lot of history to go with it. We decided to take a brief guided tour of the castle before wandering around it ourselves. However, for the most spectacular views of the city you have to walk up Arthur’s seat; it’s a bit of a trek up some steep steps (or no steps, depending on ability!) but the views from the top make it worth the walk. All in all it was a great trip and a city I would recommend visiting if you haven’t before.

Edinburgh castle

Edinburgh castle

With summer coming to an end its time to start thinking about getting all my stuff together to move back to Leicester. I moved most of my stuff up a few weeks ago so fortunately most of my packing is done (hooray for that!) but I still have to make sure I pack up all the bits I have left or forgot the first time. The easiest way would probably be to do a list of everything I need to take up, year in year out, but I never seem to be organised enough to manage to create one.

The next time I blog I will be back in Leicester starting my second year of Engineering. I will keep you updated on how I’m finding the course and the modules. Bye for now!

Jamie H

About Jamie H

Jamie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi, I’m Jamie and I’m a third year Engineering student here at the University of Leicester. On top of my studies, I’m a keen ski/boarder with the ski club and also a member of men’s rugby union. I’ll be blogging about both my course and my experiences during my time here.

View more posts by Jamie H

Subscribe to Jamie H's posts