First Week Back

So it’s the end of the first week of 2nd year, and it has literally flown by, especially since I haven’t really done a whole lot so far, I have a feeling that’s how the rest of the year will go too. The first week of every year always seems to include introductory lectures about your course, most of the time they just tell you things you have already sussed out for yourself, but occasionally there will be some important information about a particular module or area of your course that you didn’t realize so they are always worth attending, even if they are at 9am after a night out at the union.

For me I have had lectures on a few of the modules I will be undertaking this year, of which one in particular caught my attention. In second year engineering no matter what discipline you are studying there is a management and design module. The management section consists of working in teams of 6-7 (chosen by the department) to run your own car company using a simulation that uses real world data. Each member of the team has a different role, for example chief executive officer or finance executive officer; which is the role that I have taken on. You have to create the company from scratch, coming up with a name, a tag line and a company mission statement. Then following that in your teams you decide what type of cars to sell what extras to offer and what areas to invest money into researching.

It get more complex than that too, it also up to you to decide how many manufacturing centers and staff you want to hire and if you want to take out bank loans for the next financial year or not. So there’s a lot to think about, but I think it will be a very enjoyable module offers a chance to get used to working with people you have never worked with before in a competitive environment.
Oh and did I mention it’s all a competition within the year to see which team makes the most money, so a perfect chance to show all your mates up!

Jamie H

About Jamie H

Jamie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi, I’m Jamie and I’m a third year Engineering student here at the University of Leicester. On top of my studies, I’m a keen ski/boarder with the ski club and also a member of men’s rugby union. I’ll be blogging about both my course and my experiences during my time here.

View more posts by Jamie H

Subscribe to Jamie H's posts