What to do in Leicester

When I came on my open day three years ago now (I have to say, it doesn’t feel like that long ago) I never had the opportunity to look around the city due to the long travel times and the fact that my open day had a full schedule with the department. So I thought I’d tell you a bit about the city and what there is to do here.

Leicester is a unique city in that you will experience a wide variety of different cultures, for example Chinese New Year celebrations, every year there is a Caribbean carnival which parades around the city (although this one is normally in August so I’ve never been around to experience it). The Diwali celebrations in Leicester are the biggest outside of India, and are a huge event, with around 35,000 people attending the switch on of the lights, defiantly worth going to at least once. There’s also a Hanukkah celebration that takes place at the Menorah on Victoria Park. So as you can see there is so much to experience culturally.

With all that already there’s a lot to do in Leicester as well, the national space centre is not far from town, and is the UK’s largest space attraction. There is plenty of opportunity to go to the theatre with the curve theatre that often has performances direct from the West End, De Montfort Hall has loads of comedy shows, ballets, opera and is an impressive looking building. What’s more there are plenty of places to eat, especially with the new High Cross shopping centre, with Nandos, Pizza Express, Turtle Bay, Yo Sushi, Prezzo plus lots of other smaller restaurants dotted around the town.

If clubbing is your scene then there are plenty of options there too, with Club Republic having a student night every Monday (a great night out, arguably the best in my opinion), and the students union running Red Leicester on a Wednesday and Shabang on a Friday.

This is just a brief look at what Leicester has to offer, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Jamie H

About Jamie H

Jamie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi, I’m Jamie and I’m a third year Engineering student here at the University of Leicester. On top of my studies, I’m a keen ski/boarder with the ski club and also a member of men’s rugby union. I’ll be blogging about both my course and my experiences during my time here.

View more posts by Jamie H

Subscribe to Jamie H's posts

2 responses to “What to do in Leicester”

1. Jasmine

Are there a lot of independent shops and restaurants in Leicester, alongside the chains? Also, have you ever experienced ‘Dave’s Comedy Festival?’