Christmas Revision: Tips and Tricks Part 1

As semester one is rapidly drawing to an end, the Christmas holidays draw ever closer. Christmas is a time for socialising, eating, partying and… well revision. Yes it’s a sad fact that during your university careers you will have at least some form of work to do over the festive break. As engineers, you will have January exams every year of your course. However the holidays can be enjoyable whilst still getting in all that important revision. As it is now my fourth year here I thought I would pass on a few tips that I have learnt over the years.

1. Be organised with your notes, you can save heaps of time if when it comes to revision all your notes are filed correctly. That way you don’t have to faff around looking through hundreds of pages of useless stuff just to find one equation. Even if it means taking a day to organise then I would recommend it. What’s more be organised with your time, make a revision timetable. Personally I don’t like my timetable to show what I am going to do at what time of day, I simply set my learning objectives of what I need to cover on a particular day. This is beneficial because not only does it let me see that I am covering all the content, but it also allows me to be flexible and fit in that impromptu trip to the pub to catch up with friends.
  2. Spread your work load out, especially with revision. Sitting down for an extreme work marathon in which you don’t emerge from your room for three days may work for essays or coursework, it won’t however work for revision. You need to give yourself breaks and keep refreshing the content. Little and often works well, do a few hours then have a break and come back to it.
  3. Work when you work best, if you work well early in the morning, then get up and work then. If you like to work in the evenings, then do so. Having said that, this isn’t me telling you to become a nocturnal creature working through the nights…
  4. Don’t waste your time, sitting on the sofa all day watching every Christmas movie, drinking mulled wine and gorging on chocolate Santa’s isn’t a great use of your time, as much as you may want it to be. Doing this will just make the work pile up and prevent you from doing other things with your time.

I’ll be back next week to continue my guide to Christmas revision…

Jamie H

About Jamie H

Jamie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi, I’m Jamie and I’m a third year Engineering student here at the University of Leicester. On top of my studies, I’m a keen ski/boarder with the ski club and also a member of men’s rugby union. I’ll be blogging about both my course and my experiences during my time here.

View more posts by Jamie H

Subscribe to Jamie H's posts