Careers Development Service

We are already approaching half way through this part of the semester (there are two weeks of semester two after the Easter break for those of you who didn’t know) which means I am rapidly approaching the end of my time at the University of Leicester. As scary as that is, I can’t wait to get a job and start my future career, whatever that may be.

I have spent time this week thinking about what it is that I might want to do at the end of university, which is a topic that I have previously blogged about here. Something that I didn’t mention there was the universities careers development service. The careers development service are there to help you to progress through university and into a career afterwards. One of the services that they offer includes CV checking, which I have found invaluable.  You will get to meet with a careers adviser whom then sits down with you and discusses all the positives and the negatives of your current CV and gives you things to improve upon. This can be tailored to a specific job application or just a general CV.

They also offer mock up interviews, following which you’ll again get given feedback on your responses. This can be an invaluable tool to practice this vital skill. Especially if you aren’t very confident in interview situations or haven’t ever been in a formal interview before.

It’s a free service that is offered to all students at the university, I cannot recommend enough that you make use of it during your studies. Here is a link to their webpage if you want to check it out:

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/careers-new

Jamie H

About Jamie H

Jamie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi, I’m Jamie and I’m a third year Engineering student here at the University of Leicester. On top of my studies, I’m a keen ski/boarder with the ski club and also a member of men’s rugby union. I’ll be blogging about both my course and my experiences during my time here.

View more posts by Jamie H

Subscribe to Jamie H's posts

One response to “Careers Development Service”

1. Study Abroad

Career Development Services is responsible for all placement and career-related activities and serves as an interface between organizations wanting to recruit the students looking for career opportunities.It also provides career-related guidance to students through workshops and specially designed sessions in areas like writing resumes and interview skills.