Literary Leicester

I feel very privileged to be able to tell you that the University of Leicester is one of only two Universities in the UK to have its own literary festival. Since its inception in 2008, Literary Leicester has welcomed some great authors, poets and academics to the University. Previous starring acts have included Booker Prize winner, Alan Hollinghurst, award winning young adult novelist, Meg Rosoff (who wrote one of my favourite books, How I Live Now), critic, author and academic, David Lodge and the famous feminist, Germaine Greer.

This year’s programme is as varied and exciting as the past four years. On Thursday, I am going to listen to the first ever female Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy, read from her poetry. I love her poems and am very excited about this! Tomorrow, I am going to a lecture on Charles Dickens given by Claire Tomalin, a renowned journalist, historical biographer and academic. Will Self, author of nine novels and winner of two prizesĀ (Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction and Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize) is coming to talk about his latest novel Umbrella which has been longlisted for the 2012 Man Booker Prize. I’m not going to his event, but well, I can’t go to everything!

At the weekend there are also children’s events and workshops including ‘How to Draw Horses and Lots More with Jennifer Bell’, which I would have loved as a child. I might even go along anyway, it sounds much more fun than working on my dissertation!

What I’ve mentioned here is only a tiny snapshot of the exciting events lined up for Literary Leicester. For the full schedule and more information on what I have mentioned, click here.

Oh yes, and just to cap it all of, it’s free! Perfect entertainment (and education) for a poor student.

Jennifer

About Jennifer

Jennifer graduated from the University in Summer 2013.

View more posts by Jennifer

Subscribe to Jennifer's posts