It’s pretty hard trying to think up things that would be useful for upcoming students that haven’t been said a million times on the internet in articles that get down with the kids y’all can you dig it — join a society, make friends <3 <3, et cetera — so forgive me if you’ve heard any of the upcoming suggestions before. In life, as in my dissertation, it’s hard to be original.
1) Bring an Ethernet cable. Most university faculties will of course have wireless, but it never does to be caught with an internetless laptop in some strange place.
2) Look up the reading lists for your modules on the university website and find the cheapest used books on Amazon. Buying everything brand new is crazy. Alternatively, find old students willing to sell. You sometimes get emails about that sort of thing.
3) If you get a gym membership before Monday 7th October you save £20. It’s a very good gym, and you’ll have had plenty of time to scope it out by then.
4) Stale bread can be dipped in a mix of milk and egg whites, then fried in butter and dusted with sugar to make French toast/pain perdu (which Wikipedia tells me is also called gypsy toast and….eggy bread? Guys, really).
5) No need to spend money on subscriptions to movie services unless you only want to watch very specific films — the library has a decently-sized collection of movies and TV series considered worth putting there, and thus noteworthy.
6) If you venture into town very cheap local ingredients can be sourced from the historic Leicester Market (historic because it existed during history), easing your conscience and your expenditure, if perhaps not your legs if you live in Oadby.
7) One of the greatest curry restaurants in the country resides in the Belgrave area of Leicester, known as Curry Fever.
8) English students may be forced to read Pamela, but the cunning student will notice that every chapter is the same (a cost-cutting measure by Samuel Richardson its author), so all you need to do is read the first chapter and you’ll know exactly what happens for the rest of the book. Uh-oh, did I say that? Deal with it, Richardson.
9) This list is dropping in quality.
10) Make friends <3 <3 <3