4 responses to “Easter Exploits: Night of the Lepus”

1. Linda

An exception to your argument? How interesting. I’m certain your essay will make a fascinating read. I share five of my favorite Holmes stories with Doyle’s list (you are absolutely right, he certainly does know his Holmes) although my absolute favorite didn’t make the list: The Solitary Cyclist. It may not be the best example of Holmes’ powers of deductive reasoning, but it is an impressively sinister tale with echoes of gothic tropes. The rest, in no particular order, are as follows:

The Musgrave Ritual
    The Priory School
    The Dancing Men
    The Copper Beeches
    The Speckled Band
    The Six Napoleons
    The Second Stain
    The Bruce-Partington Plans
    The Blue Carbuncle

It seems most of my favorites come from The Return of Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps because I am so thankful for the resurrection of my favorite character. Have you a favorite film/tv adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes stories? The Granada series with Jeremy Brett ranks very high with me for obvious reasons, but the BBC series with Peter Cushing runs a close second. If only there weren’t so many lost episodes.

2. Linda

Ah, I adore Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles has such great lines that I will have to revisit it again soon. Will you post a list of your favorite Sherlock Holmes stories? You could compare it to the list made by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Also The Adventures of the Copper Beeches has some quotes on the dangers of the countryside which I’m sure you already know, but I thought I’d mention it in the event it might be useful.