Summer Ball!

Not that i’m a cynic, in fact probably quite the opposite, I don’t think I’m alone in thinking that sometimes the infamous ‘sell out’ events that Uni puts on are not always up to the hype their marketed with. The Uni rarely puts on bad nights as such, but on occasion those ‘massive, heavy’ red Leicester’s aren’t always what they’re cracked up to be.

When I found out Summer Ball was £34, I did reconsider going, admittedly only for a mili-second as realistically, there was never going to be a point where I thought twice about attending the final night out in Leicester, but £34 seemed pretty steep, I was hoping both the day and night time events had enough to offer to justify the amount. I’ve heard mixed reviews of the festiball as a whole, some people loving it, others even believing they should be entitled to a refund due to the poorness of the event. For me, I’d love to know what those people were doing the whole night, that was so terrible they couldn’t possibly enjoy their night with their friends. Granted the day event wasn’t the BEST thing I’ve ever been to, but I think that was mostly down to the weather. Had the weather have been sunny and warm, everyone would have been able to sit around drinking their pimms and just enjoying being at the event. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case and the day was pretty wet and miserable.

However, when it comes to the night time event, I fail to see what people had to complain about. The Union looked absolutely fantastic, the walls were drapped with black fabric and strewn in were tiny fairy lights, it might have been a bosh-hand made job but they certainly pulled it off. The bar staff were on top form, at points in the night the wait for a drink was a little long, but on the whole I think they did an incredible job at serving two-thousand odd students all thirsty for as many alcoholic beverages they could possible shovel down their throats!

The end might have been cheesey, but it was fitting. With a mix of the Spice Girls, Take That, Robbie Williams, it wasn’t the most eclectic musical choice I’ve ever come across but it was definitely enough to endorse a few tears around the room. Perhaps its because I’m third year so I appreciated the sentimentality a bit more than most, but I don’t think there was a lot wrong in ending the night on some terrible, (yet secretly good) cheesey pop classics. I don’t think there was a dry eye within my group of friends, and to be honest, I can’t imagine why there would be. I never believed anyone when they said Uni was the best three years of your life, I thought it’d be good but I don’t think I could have ever anticipated just how good it really is. Embrace it, go out as much as you can, work hard but definitely play harder. You won’t get these three years back, and I assure you, you will severly miss them when they’re gone. Don’t get into silly arguments about who has and hasn’t done their washing up, enjoy the freedom of living without your parents. And don’t get hung up if you do badly in one essay, there are a million ways to make up your mark. If you put in the effort you’ll reep the rewards but don’t miss out on all of the fun outside of academia!

Hannah B

About Hannah B

Hannah graduated from University of Leicester and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Hannah B

Subscribe to Hannah B's posts

One response to “Summer Ball!”

1. Bobby

I really loved the concluding comment:
    “Don’t get into silly arguments about who has and hasn’t done their washing up, enjoy the freedom of living without your parents. And don’t get hung up if you do badly in one essay, there are a million ways to make up your mark. If you put in the effort you’ll reep the rewards but don’t miss out on all of the fun outside of academia!”