Storyteller

I’ve been really excited about a new volunteering scheme I’ve become a part of and I can’t wait to write all about it here on the Film Studies blog once it gets going! For now (as I haven’t officially started) I’ll just give you a little low down on what it entails for now…

The University of Leicester provides students with a lot of awesome opportunities to get involved with outside of the campus, and I recently received an email about volunteering to work as a Storyteller in a local primary school. Although there is a lot of work to be doing (such as Dissertation, presentations and essays), it is always important to be doing extra-curricular activities for relevant experience after you graduate.

Reading has been a huge part of my life since I was a teeny toddler, and having the opportunity to read to young children and (as I cheesily wrote in the application) ‘spark a passion for reading in others’ is something that is really exciting. Being a Storyteller involves being assigned a reading buddy, and mentoring them with their weekly reading. There are times when we may also be asked to be involved in other activities, such as maths and art classes too. All the students who applied will each be assigned a time slot at a local school that fits in with our current time table, and we’ll be helping children read until April next year.

I really recommend getting involved in something like this, as it not only enables you to gain relevant skills for employment in the future, but its a rewarding project too. I start on Monday, so I’ll be posting how my first volunteering session went very soon!

Jessie

About Jessie

Jessie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi all, my name is Jessie and I'm currently in my third and final year as a Film & Visual Arts student here at the University of Leicester. I love all things movie-related, so my course is the perfect mix between work and play. Throughout the year I'll be bringing to you what its like to be a movie-loving nerd here at the University of Leicester through my little blog posts; informing you on my amazing course modules, the best places to catch the latest films and what to prepare for if you're looking to join the Film department. Enjoy!

View more posts by Jessie

Subscribe to Jessie's posts