Volunteering Catchup

Since I last posted, I’ve had two Storytelling sessions so far, and I’m enjoying it so much! I thought I’d just summarise the sort of activities I’ve been involved in.

I’ve been allocated a Year 3 class, and although my volunteering positions is a ‘storyteller’, I’ve been helping out with other class activities in the afternoon. They’re currently studying the Stone Age, so both weeks have been spent studying and learning about rocks and I can safely say I miss primary school. University, essay writing and dissertation planning can be stressful, and having a break away by teaching and helping school children with their science studies is almost therapeutic and relieves the uni hassle for a little while.

I also had the opportunity to hear several children read extracts from their current books, and it was rewarding being able to help them learn and understand words they were struggling with. It was also awesome to see how confident and intelligent children become around this age; its where they’re at their most inquisitive and constantly want to ask questions about their environment.

It’s also incredibly useful having experience in a working industry, because you’re able to gain relevant experience for sectors of the industry you may want to go into. Although teaching isn’t something I’ve wanted to do before, learning about the industry opens up doors I would have previously left shut.

Jessie

About Jessie

Jessie has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hi all, my name is Jessie and I'm currently in my third and final year as a Film & Visual Arts student here at the University of Leicester. I love all things movie-related, so my course is the perfect mix between work and play. Throughout the year I'll be bringing to you what its like to be a movie-loving nerd here at the University of Leicester through my little blog posts; informing you on my amazing course modules, the best places to catch the latest films and what to prepare for if you're looking to join the Film department. Enjoy!

View more posts by Jessie

Subscribe to Jessie's posts