Apologies for not posting recently! Dissertation work has completely taken over my existence throughout the Christmas holidays, and exam season was stressful too. I’m now officially settled back into Leicester life and the first week of University is coming to an end, so I thought it would be appropriate to write a post on some useful tips about surviving the dissertation madness. Hopefully you’ll find these helpful, and although some may seem useful, if you stick to them they should make your life as a university student a lot easier!
1. Don’t get put off by how much or little others have done. When chatting with your course friends about dissertation deadlines, don’t worry if someone has nearly completed theirs or not yet started. It doesn’t matter where you are in relation to others, as long as you’re on the right track for you.
2. Stay on track by keeping interested in the subject material. Because you’ll be working on the same topic for two terms at University, it can easily become a subject that you can begin to lose sight of. Make sure you keep a keen interest in the subject by being excited about it. Just because you’re reading about it a lot doesn’t mean that it is boring or tedious.
3. Take breaks! Don’t overwork yourself and give yourself days away from your work. This way, number 2 will be a lot easier and you’ll also stay sane too.
4. Keep in regular contact with your dissertation supervisor. This one is really important. Regular contact through emails and meetings every couple of weeks will keep your mind at peace that you are on the right track.
5. Get your friends to read your writing. This is a really good way to keep up your confidence with your work, and assure you what you’re working on is interesting and worth reading. Friends will be really supportive, but can also provide useful criticism too.
6. Set your own deadlines and stick to them. Make sure you write in a planner how much work you want to complete by the end of each week and stick to it, and this way you won’t fall off track and let other work get in the way.
So there are my six tips to completing your dissertation without stressing or worrying too much!