My degree is kind of a Major/Minor split, though not officially. I’d say 75% of my degree is French, and the other 25% is Film Studies. So, why did I choose to split my degree like this?
The main reason I chose this very specific degree course is because it’s not one subject. I enjoyed doing my A Levels. I did 4 different subjects and I loved having the variety, so narrowing it down to just one subject at degree level was scary for me. That’s why I decided I wanted to study something else alongside French. I did wonder whether I should do French and English, but instead decided to do Film Studies. I loved watching films, so why not study them? Film Studies is basically English Literature but with films, right?
Basically, yes. If you’re good at analysing a piece of literature, you can analyse a piece of film. If you’ve thought about studying Film but have been put off because practical work isn’t really your thing, don’t worry. The way my degree is split, I don’t have the choice to do practical modules, and as much as I would like to have the experience working with a camera, this works far better for me. Film theory is what really interests me. In short, I much prefer analysing to creating.
As I said in my previous post, many people believe that Film Studies is a ‘Mickey Mouse’ subject. I’m sure you’ve heard this term being thrown around to describe certain subjects. This is also another reason why I decided to only partly include Film Studies in my degree. However, since becoming a Film Studies student, I’ve realised that this isn’t actually the case. I mean, yes, I HAVE to watch films and TV series as part of my course, so people don’t take my work seriously, but I still have to write essays, read chapters upon chapters of film theory and criticism, and learn about film history. It’s just as difficult as my French content modules, and therefore just as difficult to get a First, but if you love film, as I do, then actually doing the work isn’t a chore.
Oh, also, when I tell people I study French with Film Studies they all think it’s really cool. No word of a lie. If you’re still not convinced, have a look at this student blog. The author talks about her experiences as a Media Studies student, but the same applies to Film.