Sir Howard Dalton Young Microbiologist of the Year

Recently I got some really exciting news, after presenting my poster at the Society for General Microbiology’s (SGM’s) Annual conference I’ve been shortlisted as a finalist in the Sir Howard Dalton Young Microbiologist of the Year Award. Along with 7 other young Microbiologists I’m heading to the SGM’s AGM (so many letters!) and will give a 10 minute talk on my research.

This is pretty terrifying, so I’m going to try and get in all the practice I can before the competition in September. I’ve already told you I’m taking part in the Festival of Post Graduate Research (but missed the deadline for the 3 Minute Thesis competition). On top of the festival I’m hopefully also going to be giving one of the lunch time lectures where you present your work to the public (anyone can attend). Fingers crossed doing these things will help me feel more confident when I’m presenting at the SGM in Sept.

Since attending the conference I’ve already gathered some new data so hopefully I’ll have lots of interesting research to present, but I think being able to present my work clearly will be a hugely important factor. I think my supervisor is pretty happy, he told me he thinks I explained my research passionately and clearly at the conference so I’m taking this as a great starting point. It would be so amazing to win this prize although with what I’m sure will be a very high level of competition just being selected to compete is a huge compliment.

Once again this is part of my campaign of doing things that terrify me – so far it’s working out so I’d encourage everyone to give it a go 🙂 .

On a slightly different note I’ve launched a new blogging project – an honest blog about the daily life of a phd student (called the Daily Life of a PhD), where I aim to post as close to every day as I can (including weekends as I think it’s important to highlight down time for PhDs!). If you’d like to check it out you can find it here, or follow me on twittertwitter where I’ll be posting using #DailyPhD, but don’t worry my current blog isn’t going anywhere so please keep reading.

Finally I’d like to wish Brett Dodgson from the Graduate School good luck in his new job, thank you for all the support over the last (nearly) two years 🙂 .

Megan

About Megan

Hi I’m Megan, a PhD student in the department of genetics. I graduated from the University of Bath in 2011 and worked for 2 years in the water industry before beginning my PhD on the epigenetic regulation of pneumococcal virulence.

View more posts by Megan

Subscribe to Megan's posts

One response to “Sir Howard Dalton Young Microbiologist of the Year”

1. Friday 22/05/2015 | Daily Life of a PhD

[…] blog again as well as my post on my other blog for the University of Leicester which you can find here. I was quite excited to announce that I’m a finalist in the SGM Young Microbiologist of the […]