Congratulations on getting your place at the University of Leicester, it was so lovely to work in the Clearing Call Centre and give out offers to some of you. I hope you’re all super excited to start here at the end of September and here our Fresher’s lasts two weeks, YES TWO! Here are some top tips on how to survive one of the best fortnights of your life.
- Register at the Victoria Park Doctors surgery! Fresher’s flu is a real thing and you don’t want it to ruin your first two weeks making memories and friends for life. It’s super easy to register, you should be able to get forms from uni at the fresher’s fair but you can also pop into the doctors which is only a 5-minute walk from the Student’s Union, just tell them you’re a new student and would like to register. It takes 2 minutes and you’ll be able to book an appointment to sort any fresher’s ailments. The website for the doctors can be found here…
- The fresher’s fair on campus is a must. GET ALL THE FREEBIES. Also, it’s a perfect opportunity to see what societies are on offer, most of them do free taster sessions which are great if you aren’t sure what’s for you. There will also be businesses offering vouchers for cheap food and student related necessities.
- Nights out are obviously a big part of fresher’s and the Student’s Union are selling wristbands for £57 available to buy here. However, there’s a whole load of events with something to suit everyone and if you don’t feel like you will go to every event then there’s no need to buy a wristband. I didn’t last year as I didn’t think going out would be my scene so I just purchase single tickets for the events I fancied when I got there from the Student Union shop. I highly recommend Zoo Party and the Fresher’s Ball!
- If you do decide you’re going to go out and drink then please drink responsibly. Make sure you eat a good 3 meals during the day and lots of water to make sure you don’t become poorly during the night.
- Try not to miss too many introductory lectures, they may be boring but they are vital. They’ll show you how to use the library and our VLE which is called Blackboard. It also gives you really important information on things such as mitigating circumstances. It’s also really nice to start the year on a good solid attendance rate, and you’ll make so many new friends in that first week. All of my best friends from my course where made on the 1st or 2nd day!
- Have fun and be yourself. It’s a really stressful time starting university and whilst some love it others may find the transition difficult which is completely normal. Remember it’s okay to take time for yourself and not be pressured into anything you don’t feel comfortable with.
Join the Facebook group for University of Leicester Fresher’s week here! See you in September!