I’m sure many of you are aware that A Level results day is just around the corner and I can remember how much of a stressful time this was for me two years ago, because of this I thought I would write some helpful tips for everyone about clearing, from behind the scenes as I am currently working for the University answering Clearing related calls!
- Clearing is not just for students who have not done as well in their exams as they wished. It is for all students, if you decide on results day that you’ve changed your mind and no longer want to go to your first or second choice University you can indeed shop around and decide to apply to another University through Clearing. If you have done better than you were predicted you can use a service called adjustment which is basically the exact same as Clearing.
- To apply to a University through clearing you must decline any other offers you currently hold in order to be released into Clearing. If you currently don’t hold a place at a University then you can get straight on to applying for other courses.
- Many Universities hold Clearing Open Days- at The University of Leicester we are holding one on Friday the 16th and one on Saturday 17th, so you can come and have a look around, before accepting your Clearing offer.
- If you aren’t a UCAS applicant you can still use Clearing, you will just need to call Universities directly.
- Have your ID number handy! This makes it very easy for the call handler to process your request.
- Do your homework! Check websites beforehand to decide what courses you may be interested in and see what the current minimum entry requirements are!
- Don’t worry about accommodation! As long as you accept your offer before the 1st September ( At the University of Leicester) you will be guaranteed University managed accomodation!
- Do not panic! Lots of Universities offer lots of different courses with a wide range of entry requirements, just keep looking until you find something for you… Also everything happens for a reason!
Hopefully this should help you to prepare for the big day, if you have any questions just comment below!
The number for the University of Leicester Clearing line is:
0116 373 6000