The British Geological Society careers event

I’m about to drop the C-bomb. That’s right. Careers.

You want to come to Leicester to study geology. Have you, however, given much thought to the path you want to take with the degree you will receive?
I came into Leicester with the general view that, well, I like chemistry and rocks and water and hiking, so I will follow a path to get me a job that incorporates those things. If you don’t know what you want to specialise in, however, or your passion for geology literally stops at ‘rocks’, that’s fine. The geology department has a lot of excellent careers help on offer. This can include advice and help on getting work experience placements, careers talks, and most importantly, wide publication of the BGS careers day. This is a key event for geology undergraduate students from all over the country.

This year, the event was on the 7th of December, at the British Geological Survey in Keyworth, Nottingham, with many companies present, such as Fugro Robinson, the Environment Agency, SRK, BP and numerous others. This event is a great opportunity to talk to people from within the geological industry, to gather information on how to get into certain fields and what companies are looking for. There are also lectures from companies on throughout the morning, addressing the role of the companies and the work they do. There is also an afternoon session, in which you can speak to more company representatives, or get your C.V read by a recruitment specialist.

This is an excellent chance to learn who companies want to recruit and how you can get the job you want. Everyone at the event was incredibly friendly, happy to talk and offered some fantastic advice! I thoroughly recommend you make the effort to attend this event in your final year at Leicester.

And on another note, a Merry Christmas to you all, and a happy new year! I hope 2012 brings you lot’s of success and frivolity!

Clare

About Clare

Clare graduated from the University of Leicester in Summer 2012 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Clare

Subscribe to Clare's posts