Random Acts of Kindness

It’s late at night and I’m catching up on the news of the last few days and a short article on the Guardian on Facebook made an unexpected impact on me.

A letter to … A kindhearted woman in Marks and Spencer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/03/letter-to-unknown-woman?newsfeed=true

I’m well aware that you can’t trust everything you read in the newspaper. But that doesn’t make everything in them untrue. This particular article was written by a lady whom, when she was in trouble and struggling to make a simple decision, was helped by a stranger. She wrote this article as a letter to thank that stranger who got her through another day. All it took was a few moments but how many time does anyone stop in their life to help out someone else?

Random Acts of Kindness is not a new initiative. I first heard of it when I was in secondary school when one of my friends joined the scheme. It’s always struck me as a brilliant idea, but like many brilliant ideas I have never acted on it. Why not? I’m just too lazy and busy to bother taking 5 minutes out of my day to make someone else smile. Reading this letter reminded me that it really doesn’t cost anything to be kind to someone and it could make all the difference to them.

I’d like to invite everyone reading this to perform a small Random Act of Kindness. It could be anything, from leaving 50p in a vending machine so someone else could get a chocolate bar, to holding the door open for someone or wishing them good morning. It doesn’t have to be huge. It doesn’t have to be a stranger. You don’t even have to do it. And that’s what makes it important.

For everyone who does, thank you on behalf of the people you made smile today. Please feel free to comment with what you did and who for, or what someone else did for you. Make someone smile!

🙂

Finn

About Finn

Finn has now graduated from the University of Leicester and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Finn

Subscribe to Finn's posts