Societies

Societies are really important when at University. They provide a way to get out of your house and spend some time away from your flatmates and coursemates. Much as you might love them, it can be nice to get away.

There are academic societies (such as the Geology PCSB, Society of Economic Geologists, Society of Geophysics, the Green Team, Geology in Global Development Society and Paleontology societies etc just in Geology). These run academic events such as lectures and social events such as the Academic Ball.

Geologists can scrub up surprisingly well

There are also Performance Societies such as the modern dance society, the Leicester University Theatre Society and the Viking Society. As president of the Viking Society, I spend my weekends and evenings running around with a sword and spear pretending that I live in the 8th Century.

As such, I spend a lot of my week covered in bruises.

This weekend I went to Ashby de la Zouch to run around a wood dressed as someone from the 8th century with a lot of my friends. It was an absolutely fantastic time.

Vikings don't travel light

Finn

About Finn

Finn has now graduated from the University of Leicester and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Finn

Subscribe to Finn's posts