Prelude to graduation – Part 1.

I, on the other hand, am simply waiting around to graduate!
I received my results on the 22nd of June, and was simply ecstatic that I’d got a 1st (something which had seemed nigh on impossible to achieve at this time last year). I managed to drag my average up by over 5%, which, let me tell you, was no walk in the park. I was also awarded the ‘Dennis Field’ award for my conduct and enthusiasm throughout my degree- see if you can spot me on the prizes board when you get here!

Right now, I could be off doing fieldwork or on a work placement. But, as I will be starting an MSc in Birmingham in September, I thought it more sensible to get a ‘proper job’, as it were, and earn some money.

However, I’m still in Leicester until I graduate on the 12th of July, and outside of the two sessions with a tutor to learn a-level maths each week, I am pretty much totally free. Which is peculiar. Due to the money situation (or lack thereof), I’m not going on holiday either, so I’ve had to come up with a few ways to amuse myself, including:

1. Learning the ukulele. So far, I’ve mastered ‘we are young’ by Fun, ‘starships’ by Nicki Minaj, ‘hey ya’ by Outkast and ‘kiss me’ by sixpence none the richer. Sadly, my fingers hurt A LOT.
2. Origami! I’m getting pretty speedy at making Japanese peace cranes.
3. Relearning A-level chemistry (that’s right folks, you will have to actually re-use you’re A-levels once they’re over, I’m afraid).
4. Lots of skating. I’m up for intraleague team selection for the Dolly Rockit Rollers, so I’m going along to every practice and skating ‘till I drop. Sometimes literally.
5. Generally sorting my life out, including packing for next year, cleaning my room and applying for bursaries.

So, on that note, I should probably carry on tidying or learning how to integrate.
Tally ho!

Clare

About Clare

Clare graduated from the University of Leicester in Summer 2012 and is no longer blogging for this site.

View more posts by Clare

Subscribe to Clare's posts