Spending time in the countryside

Learning how to handle stress is an important part of how university develops you into a capable adult. It is a learning curve, perhaps more linear than exponential, that comes gradually as you progress through your degree. Nevertheless stress can be overwhelming at times, perhaps from sheer volume of work, joining too many societies (although some might say there is no such thing as too many societies!), illness, time running away from you, missing home or just getting caught up in university’s exciting whirlwind of adventure. Sometimes you don’t realise that you’re stressed which was certainly the case with me, last Saturday morning, as I sat on a bus that was whisking me to just under 10 miles outside the city of Leicester. I was heading to Bradgate park for an escape from the city, and a true escape it was!  Even though it was only 30 minutes away from the city the air was fresh, accompanied by the smell of grass, trees and the countryside. It was a place to forget the busyness of the city and university life and relax. It is a beautiful park with open green spaces, deer and interesting rocks (spot the geologist!). When we got back, I felt rejuvenated, like a clockwork toy fully wound and ready to go again. I think that is important when living in city, to find time to spend in the countryside. We’re lucky here in Leicester that the countryside isn’t that far away, only £4.50 return on a bus too!  Here are some pictures to illustrate my point:

Rutting deer

Rutting deer

Some of the beautiful rocks in Bradgate park!

Eleri

About Eleri

Eleri has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hello! My name is Eleri Simpson and I'm a 4th (and final!) year geology student at the University of Leicester. The parts of my course that I love the most are: mapping, igneous and metamorphic processes, geochemistry and volcanology. Outside of learning I'm part of the First Aid society and the University concert band, where I play the clarinet. I enjoy evenings at the pub, cooking, walking in the countryside and a good cup of tea.

View more posts by Eleri

Subscribe to Eleri's posts