Using geology to fight poverty

Yesterday I had the opportunity to present a short piece on my work experience in Vanuatu (Vanuatu blog), with my colleague Ben Clarke, at the Global engagement discussion between GfGD and the BGS (British Geological Survey). We spoke about what we had learnt about working with geoscientists abroad, the challenges they face and our ideas on best practise.

We also got to hear about work that the BGS was undertaking abroad to help fight poverty and develop undeveloped countries. These included stories of helping the locals understand their groundwater supplies so that they might place water pumps that last and can be well maintained, helping communities understand the hazards that volcanoes pose and preparing them for disasters (projects like STREVA), running geochemical analyses on the nutrients in soils to identify and solve nutrient deficiencies in people in India and many more.

It was extremely heartening to hear of such good work being conducted by British geoscientists that was actually making a difference to the lives of poverty stricken people. It was a very inspiring afternoon that left me with the overwhelming feeling that geology, although not the only factor, is a key part of helping the developing world, improving living conditions and quality of life and fighting poverty.

Plus, the BGS provided us with such delicious sandwiches, biscuits and Danish pastries it was hard not to enjoy it!

Me with the group of BGS and GfGD scientists at the discussion

Eleri

About Eleri

Eleri has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hello! My name is Eleri Simpson and I'm a 4th (and final!) year geology student at the University of Leicester. The parts of my course that I love the most are: mapping, igneous and metamorphic processes, geochemistry and volcanology. Outside of learning I'm part of the First Aid society and the University concert band, where I play the clarinet. I enjoy evenings at the pub, cooking, walking in the countryside and a good cup of tea.

View more posts by Eleri

Subscribe to Eleri's posts

4 responses to “Using geology to fight poverty”

1. Gurpal

Hi eleri.
    I am a student at college, and find geology really interesting, but definitely want to work on the global development side of things. What sort of area do you think breaks you into that sector.
    I really want to be able to be a geologist but still be able to help people in developing countries, but I don’t know what I would have to specialise in geology to be able to do that.

2. Hannah

Hi Eleri,

I’m currently a first year geology student and think it’s so cool how you’re involved in all of these projects and conferences. I was just wondering if you had any tips on how to get work experience/internships or how to get involved with organisations and events such as the GfGD one?

Thanks a lot in advance!