Reflection: Top 5 degree experiences

Carrying on with my reflection series I thought I’d try to sum up my university experience with my top five university experiences – so, in no particular order, here goes!

1. The first day there won’t be another day like this, where you are thrown into halls with a whole bunch of people you don’t know. Sounds scary but everyone’s in the same boat, which makes it the easiest place on Earth to make friends. Some of those friends you never speak to again! But some you can’t shake off.

2. The geology fieldtrips getting to hang out with a group of people, as rock crazy as me, 24/7 you build up friendships that could last a lifetime! Plus, I’ve managed to have incredible adventures in amazing places and brought back tons of rock samples to prove it.

3. Late night chatting I will have many, many fond memories of friends coming into my room to say ‘goodnight’ and then ending up going to bed 2 hours later.

4. Hanging out with lecturers I know this sounds terribly geeky, but honestly, our lecturers are awesome people and going on so many field trips with them means that you build up rapport, have jokes, listen to their stories, have a few drinks etc. They no longer remain some anonymous dude who jabbers on in front of a white board every week, and that actually makes learning a whole lot easier!

5. Geo-banter a collection of hilarious experiences, rock jokes, in-jokes and memories that you just can’t share with anyone unless they were there with you.

And there you have it! University is a fantastic place to get memories that will stick with you for life.

Tune in next time for more reflection – what I wish I had done more of at University!

Eleri

About Eleri

Eleri has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hello! My name is Eleri Simpson and I'm a 4th (and final!) year geology student at the University of Leicester. The parts of my course that I love the most are: mapping, igneous and metamorphic processes, geochemistry and volcanology. Outside of learning I'm part of the First Aid society and the University concert band, where I play the clarinet. I enjoy evenings at the pub, cooking, walking in the countryside and a good cup of tea.

View more posts by Eleri

Subscribe to Eleri's posts