Graduation and Goodbye

The time has come for me to bid farewell to Leicester, the four fantastic years I spent here and all of the incredible friends I made along the way. To celebrate the achievements of its students a University usually puts on this little thing called a Graduation ceremony which I always though was no big deal. How wrong could I be? One succession of finely clad lords, four pleased staff-bearing stewards, one salute and one run through ‘God save the Queen’ later and I realised that graduation is taken quite seriously. This impressed me along with the vast number of students and parents, the beautifully ornamented gowns on the stage, the speed at which your hands begin to ache as you clap each graduate across, but I think the thing that impressed me the most was the legend who had to read out over 500 names regardless of difficulty with only a brief pause between them.

I leave you now with a series of pictures from our graduation. Thank you for being a wonderful audience – I wish you the best of luck in your futures! If you want to keep up with what I’m doing next you can find me here.

Time Lapse: Throwing our hats into the air. Scroll down to see us try to catch them again!

2 3 4 5 6 7

Smiling for the group photo

Smiling for the group photo

The elaborate and beautiful gowns on the stage

Eleri

About Eleri

Eleri has now graduated from the University of Leicester. Hello! My name is Eleri Simpson and I'm a 4th (and final!) year geology student at the University of Leicester. The parts of my course that I love the most are: mapping, igneous and metamorphic processes, geochemistry and volcanology. Outside of learning I'm part of the First Aid society and the University concert band, where I play the clarinet. I enjoy evenings at the pub, cooking, walking in the countryside and a good cup of tea.

View more posts by Eleri

Subscribe to Eleri's posts

One response to “Graduation and Goodbye”

1. Goodbye from me too!

[…] about graduation blogs, by the time you have scanned through mine and Eleri’s recent blog post, but alas, it is my final post as well, and what better way to do so, than talking about […]