Most students are always looking for ways to save some cash in order to make their student loan go further, so here’s a few of my top tips for saving money.
- Student discounts can save you loads. Lots of shops and attractions offer discounts for students so make sure you always ask if they offer a discount and remember to take your student card with you when you go shopping. If you buy an NUS Extra card (only £12 for a year) you get access to loads more discounts and special offers in shops and online.
- One of the main ways to make money disappear is by spending it on takeaways. I find it helps to always have some food in the cupboards to avoid the temptation of spending more on fast food after a busy day. Something quick and nutritious like pasta is always good!
- If you’re going home for the holidays or going to visit friends, booking train tickets in advance can save you lots of cash. Also, if you don’t have a 16-25 railcard it’s definitely worth getting one as it can save you loads when travelling by train.
- My personal favourite tip is to go searching through the reduced to clear section of your local supermarket for bargains, so much so that I’ve got a bit of a reputation amongst my friends for my yellow sticker hunting. It’s surprising how much you can get cheaply and most things will be fine to eat the next day or will last longer in the freezer. Evenings are generally the best time to pick up the best deals.
- Be sensible! Before spending large amounts of money think about whether you really need to and whether you can afford to. Also keep an eye on how much money you spend each week to make sure you’re not going over-budget.