This is all in the same vein of a previous blog about things to do before you start university.
This is in no way an absolute list but my boyfriend and I have been working out what we brought (or wish we had) when we first came to university.
- Washing powder/tablets/softner– try and get the same one as you use at home if possible as being able to smell of home has never felt so good when you’re at university.
- Drying rack– what better way to save money than to skimp on the tumble drying of your clothes?
- Stationary– pens, highlighters, notepads. You may never need them but it is good to be stocked up. I didn’t really enjoy typing in lectures so I ended up living off notepads.
- Cooking stuff- though especially important for those who are self-catered, even catered will need to cook once in a while. Don’t go crazy on how much stuff you bring as there will not be much room in the kitchen, but having something like a wok would be so helpful.
- Snacks/drink- basically anything to share with your new flatmates. It’s a good way to break the ice to initiate a good conversation, (often around about the same time you apologise to them about your crying parents).
- Laptop– for obvious academic (and entertainment/social) reasons.
- Posters/pictures– your room becomes your entire house in many ways at university so try and make it feel like home.
- Toiletries- I’m pretty sure at least once I have forgotten my toothbrush. REMEMBER IT, or, it makes it hard to make friends. Some toilet roll is always useful too…
- PJs- however you like to sleep having pyjamas at hand may save you an awkward moment if there is a late night fire drill.
- Permanent Pen- you may find yourself on numerous socials that require you to write all over yours, or other’s, t-shirt. Try and think of something funny to write… and then resort to something crude.