Challenges of a new course

What have I done?  I don’t know about you but I’ve been trying to get all the elements together to get onto my course for a long time.  Getting an offer of a place and actually starting the course seemed like a goal in its own right.   It was only then, however, that the enormity of what I’d committed to really struck me.  What had I done?

In the spirit of disclosure I’m studying, part time, for an MRes in History (an MA by research might be a better description) in the area of the Crusades.  To support that I’m catching up with Latin which I haven’t studied for 26 years and Arabic which is brand new to me (!مرحبا).  I’m also working full time.  Finally, I haven’t written an academic essay in fourteen years and I’ve just submitted one for my first assessment as well as a research poster which I’ve never done before.  Don’t ask if they are any good; the critical voice inside is saying not so much! I guess I’ll find out just how far I’ve got to go on my academic journey in the next 21 days.

Terrifying, right?  Absolutely; and yet I’m having the most fun I’ve had in years!  I am strapped into the most thrilling intellectual rollercoaster imaginable.  There will be ups and downs and I might even feel a bit sick at times but it’s going to be great.  So what am I doing?  I’m sat at the front screaming because I want to go faster.

Let me know how you’re feeling about your course so far this year, especially if you’ve been out of education for some time like me.  Maybe you’re thinking about returning to study after a long break; I’ll try to answer any questions you have!

Dan

About Dan

Dan has now retired from our student blog site. I’m Dan, a first year, part time MRes student in the School of History. I work full time at the University as well which makes for quite a juggling act keeping it all going at once. Hopefully I can give you some insight into coping with this dual life.

View more posts by Dan

Subscribe to Dan's posts