Hi y’all! I hope you managed to settle in just fine. As part of my guide to surviving Freshers, it’s about time I talk about the week itself and what there is to look out for.
Induction Lessons – Various
No matter what year you’re in, there will be an induction lesson. Your timetable on the UoL app or MyStudentRecord should tell you what date and time it’s on.
The lessons themselves designed to give you a feel on what each lesson is like and what to expect over the coming year. First Years are also required to go to a welcome talk in De Montfort Hall where you are basically welcomed into the University.
Student Groups Fair – 26th-28th September
I always look forward to this bit! This takes place in the O2 Academy and the Scholar in the Percy Gee building. What you do is go round the different tables and you sign up for whatever society you want. I myself have joined the Science Fiction and Fantasy Society, the LUTheatre and the Autistic Spectrum Society (of which I am now secretary). You don’t have to join those if you don’t want to but there are loads and I mean loads of societies you can join. It’ll probably take me a day for me to list them all but some of the key examples include LGBT, Street Dance, Chess, Burlesque, Concert Band, Film and so much more!
There are also a lot of sporting societies that have their own section in the Marquee on the Events Square on the 26th and the O2/Scholar on the 27th-28th. Sports include Football, Basketball, Rugby and Hockey as well as some niche sports such as Fencing, Archery and even Quidditch (go Thestrals!).
If you want my advice on how many to join, I’d recommend about three. You’ll probably end up signing up for more but you’ll find that you won’t be able to go to all the meetings. Only sign up to the societies you REALLY want to join. You’ll find that you’ll have more time to study without the societies getting in the way.
Freshers’ Fair – 27th-28th September
Once the sporty people have moved out of the Marquee, there will be a Fresher’s Fair where different companies based in Leicester will offer discounts, deals and, best of all, freebies! Like with the student groups fair, this will be a one-way route and the queue will be long. You don’t have to go to that but I found that the freebies were surprisingly useful (and in Dominos’ case, tasty).
One thing I should warn you about the fair is if you sign your email with the companies, you will get spammed with offers. This is the case where you have to ask if the freebies are really worth it.
Side note: There is a sale of posters, vintage clothes and plants this week which is nice, especially if you want to a) appeal to your inner hipster and b) decorate your room.
Rockstar Events – 24th September-7th October
I would’ve made this one its own post if it wasn’t ongoing! There is an event every day and you can buy wristbands on the Rockstar Promotions website if you want to go to a lot of them. However, the important thing to remember is that YOU WON’T HAVE TO GO TO ANY OF THEM! Nobody has the right to pressure you into doing something you don’t want to do and if clubbing is one of them, then you tell them you’re staying in.
However, for all you party animals out there, here is a list of events that are going on the next two weeks. Remember to book beforehand on the Rockstar Promotions website as they will be VERY busy:
- Monsta Mondays Freshers Carnival! – Club Republic (Monday 24th September, 10pm… yes I know this is late)
- Ministry of Magic School Disco! – O2 Academy (Tuesday 25th September, 11pm)
- LetsDisko Freshers Zoo Party! – O2 Academy (Wednesday 26th September, 11pm)
- Electric ’80s! – 2Funky Music Cafe and Lounge (Thursday 27th September, 11pm)
- Shabang! VK UV Full Moon Party! – O2 Academy (Friday 28th September, 11pm)
- Kojo Live + Support – O2 Academy (Saturday 29th September, 11pm)
- Oadbyfest! – Oadby Student Village (Sunday 30th September, 1pm)
- Big Fat Freshers Pub Quiz! – Loaded Dog Pub (Sunday 30th September, 8pm)
- The Legendary Freshers’ T-Shirt Bar Crawl 2018 – (Monday 1st October, 7pm)
- Freshers Games Night/Bingo/Quiz! – Loaded Dog (Tuesday 2nd October, 8pm)
- LetsDisko Krispy Kreme Party! – O2 Academy (Wednesday 3rd October, 11pm)
- Freshers’ Fun House! – Club Republic (Thursday 4th October, 11pm)
- Cirque du Shabang! – O2 Academy (Friday 5th October, 11pm)
- Freshers’ Roller Disco – O2 Academy (Saturday 6th October, 1pm)
- Free Lunch! – The Loaded Dog (Sunday 7th October, 12pm)
- Freshers’ Ball with Marvin Humes – O2 Academy (Sunday 7th October, 11pm)
I hope you found this to be a useful guide on the different academic and social events. I know this seems like a lot and believe me, it felt like a lot to me, but all of this is optional. It’s just a good way to socialise, meet new people and have a good time. If you find all of this overwhelming, you don’t have to go to any of these. A quiet year at uni is perfectly acceptable.
Is there anything I’ve missed about Freshers’ week? Leave your comments down below. There will be one final part to this about where to go from there but until then, fair thee well good people of the internet!