Something that every prospective law student should be prepared for, is the incredibly large volume of reading that you will have to do. Behind every legal principle you read there is probably a statute, which will then almost certainly be supported by a case, within which is a fantastic yet lengthy judgement by Lord Denning.
Nonetheless, all is not at loss and there are ways to survive reading 6 chapters of Company Law…
Below is my short and simple way of getting through the mountain load of reading that every Law student faces!
1. At the beginning of each week, make a note of how much reading has been set for each tutorial.
2. Establish when exactly you need to complete the set reading list, in order for you to complete the tutorial work.
3. Separate the set reading into smaller chunks so you do not attempt to read 150 pages in one go – its best to read smaller parts over a few days.
4. Start reading!
5. As you go through the reading, underline/highlight the key points – not the entire textbook.
6. Write/type up the highlighted points.
I hope that 6-stage plan helps any of you who thinks they might struggle with the daunting amount of reading that Law students come up against – but I have to say that you can do it!
If you have any questions, please comment below!
Until next time,