My First New Year’s Resolution

2016 has been a crazy year, to say the least. I’m finally studying a subject that I genuinely enjoy studying, I’ve met people who I’m absolutely grateful to have in my life, and I can feel and see myself changing in ways I’m really happy about.

Whenever January 1st comes around I never make a New Year’s Resolution for myself, but this year, I’ve started recognising the merit in having short-term goals. My goals have always been long-term goals that I have to be rich and settled to actually fulfil (i.e. design the interior of my own house) or are paths that I follow to get to a far-away, fuzzy-looking endgoal (i.e. be a lawyer). This year is different. This year is all about goals I can actually achieve before 2018.

My Word of the Year for 2017 is: discipline. It goes like this: ‘Yeah, I can watch one more episode! And then I’ll do some work. And I don’t even like chocolate, but I suddenly have a craving for it.’ One entire season of RuPaul’s Drag Race and 5 pieces of chocolate later, I’m regretting putting effort into becoming a potato instead of becoming a lawyer and eating a junk food that I don’t even like.

I vow to keep the word ‘discipline’ in mind when I’m at a place where my motivation and will to do anything are wavering. I will go to bed in my gym clothes, if that’s what it takes. Revision period is the best worst time to finish an entire series. Last year during revision, I started and finished all 10 seasons of Friends; although I did well in my first year exams, I know second year will not be as forgiving.

It is possible to be too hard on yourself, so the key is in finding that balance of disciplining myself just enough to push my limits but not so hard that I become anxious about everything going on. It’s going to be tough, but as Barney Stinson always says, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I’m genuinely looking forward to second term and I can’t wait to see for what 2017 has in store for everyone!

Lucie

About Lucie

Hello! My name is Lucie and I’m a final year Law student. I’m from Canada, so the goal is to give you some insight on what it’s like to live and study in Leicester from an international perspective. Alongside my studies, I am an Equality and Diversity Champion for the uni, and I do yoga regularly.

View more posts by Lucie

Subscribe to Lucie's posts