Clearing is perceived as every A-Level student’s worst nightmare, but it couldn’t be easier if you know what you’re doing!
I came to university after missing out on my first choice university, rejecting my insurance choice, and coming to Leicester through clearing. I will talk about my top tips for having the best experience with clearing possible.
- Know what courses are on offer and which universities have places!
- Some universities with places will start to advertise what courses are on offer and what grades are needed for specific course weeks before results day. Some universities will only publish lists the day before results day, but starting to look at lists as early as possible is ideal to give yourself an idea of what is available
- Don’t panic!
- However confident you are, you still need a backup plan. The day before results day, spend 20 minutes looking at potential backup universities through clearing – if you do find yourself without a place come results day, it’ll stop you panicking and you’ll know what to do.
- Be quick!
- Some universities may only have very limited places through clearing for popular courses, and they are first come first served, so you need to be quick! On top of this, you need to consider accommodation, so getting a place secured as fast as possible can help you put your mind and rest so you can focus on other things.
- Be open-minded!
- I had my heart set on my first-choice university, and was genuinely gutted when I found that I wasn’t going there. I felt like I had ‘settled’ for Leicester when I accepted my place through clearing…fast forward 10 months and I have finished the best year of my life at university, met amazing people, and learnt so much! I truly cannot imagine being anywhere else. It is so important to be open minded – what you make of the university experience is much more important than prestige or league tables.
Hopefully these tips are helpful! If you have any questions about clearing, feel free to get in touch with me in the comments section.