Summer arriving can only mean one thing – open day season! I can admit that I wish I went to more open days, and made better use of the ones I did go to. Therefore, this blog will focus on how to really get the most out of an open day, wherever you are!
- Be open minded!
- There is no point going to an open day if you are dead set against going there. Always be prepared to change your mind about a university; you never know, it might be your future!
- Give yourself plenty of time
- If the open day is a long journey away, it can be useful to go up the night before, so you don’t spend half the day travelling there and back. There is nothing worse than being stuck in traffic and not giving yourself enough time to explore everything the university has to offer.
- Talk to people!
- Whether it is a second opinion from your mum, subject specific knowledge from tutors and lecturers, or a general chat about student life with current students, other people can be invaluable. Choosing a university is not an easy decision, so take all the help you can get!
- Trust your gut
- With the above said, sometimes you can tell from the off if a university is not for you, and that is totally fine. Different universities suit different people; I personally would hate a big London university, but that is ideal for some. Sometimes the vibe is just not right, and that is something you can only know from actually going to a university.
- Look at everything
- Plan the day ahead so you have time to fit everything in. There will often be subject specific talks, taster lectures, campus tours, accommodation tours, and much more. You do not want to go home wishing you were able to look around the accommodation, so make sure you make a note of when things are and when tours finish, so you can go home and make informed decisions.
- Explore the city
- You will be spending a minimum of 3 years of your life in your university town – make sure you like it! University is so much more than the campus, and it is vital that you like the area. Some cities are all about the nightlife, some are shopping havens, and some are surrounded by beautiful countryside. Find the city for you!
That’s all my top tips for making the most of open days, whether your are coming to Leicester or a different open day. Let me know in the comments if you have any other tips, or if these were useful!