As a new year of Law School approaches, I thought I would write a post on what my aims and goals are for my second year. First year went so so quickly, and I cannot wait to make the most of my penultimate year of my degree.
- Get good grades!
- It cannot be denied that, first and foremost, my main aim for university is to get a 1:1 degree. I managed this in my first year, and so hopefully I can repeat this in my second year where it starts to count! My (slightly unexpected) success in first year has shown me what I can do, and I hope to improve even more in my second year.
- Vacation scheme (maybe training contract?!)
- Second year is all about the vacation scheme! They are so so important for any budding solicitors to show firms that you have experience actually working in a firm, and can be a great way to find out if a firm is for you. Another bonus is that you often get a guaranteed interview for a training contract at the end of the scheme, so maybe that could lead to a training contract…?!
- Diversify myself
- I am very keen to try and diversify my CV this year – it is currently full of legal work experience, grades from law school, and work with the law society. Can you spot the theme?! I have been looking into taking French classes with the university to get myself a French in Business qualification. I did French at A Level and it is something I really enjoyed, and have definitely missed at university. Hopefully business-level French could help me stand out from the crowd!
- Last but not least…have fun!
- I am a very ambitious person and hold myself to very high standards, which means that sometimes when I fall short, I get very disappointed in myself. It is so so important to let yourself go sometimes, and I will make sure to focus on myself this year, whether by taking an extra pole class, going out with my friends, or just a movie night with my boyfriend!
Hopefully this post gave you some ideas of what you want to aim for this year, whether you are a law student or not! Let me know if you have any questions about my goals for this year.