And now…Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program

Oh the irony! For as often as I laud University of Leicester and proudly announce my matriculation here to anyone within earshot, I can find myself so distracted by the trials of life as a distance learning student that I might pass long stretches of time without fully engaging my course (read: I just had to blow the dust off my FM coursebook).

Such is life as a distance learner, even when attending one of the best universities in Europe. My life has been so hectic in the past couple of months that the stress of trying to simply find a suitable job has been a sufficient distraction, effectively derailing my grand ‘study 2 hours every day’ plan that I announced after surviving the SFM exam. I took the exam on October 31, announced my plan on November 1, was unexpectedly (and unceremoniously) laid off from my job on November 5, and never had a chance to actually start the study plan.

So, here I am just 3 weeks from the module assessment submission date, and I have accomplished exactly nothing. Nada. Rien. I’m so distracted (and stressed) by my cash inflow deficit (isn’t that a slick way of saying that I’m broke?) that I have scarcely approached the current module. Go ahead and hit the button: panic time!!

Fortuitously (or Providentially, as the case may be) I found a random email in an account that I hardly use anymore. The email was a solicitation for a financial modeling class that was to take place this weekend and the next, and in my city. I could hardly believe my good fortune. I figured this was meant for me so that I would have a chance to get a decent grade on the assignment in a few weeks. The fact that I have absolutely no money wasn’t even a deterrent. I called a guy, arranged the funds, and was seated in class first thing Friday morning.

The class has me feeling a lot more optimistic about my chances to succeed with this assignment. Yeah, I know: it’s a self-inflicted wound because I hadn’t been  studying. What’s that saying about every cloud having a silver lining? I’m very fortunate that there are no mandatory attendance policies at University of Leicester for the distance learning programs, or I would have already done myself in. The flexibility of the program means that even a knucklehead like me can waste inordinate amounts of time at the beginning of a course, then cram 3 months of studying into 3 or 4 weeks, and still earn good enough marks to graduate. I love this place!!

But seriously, I’m trying to refocus now, and since the course book for this module is relatively brief, I think I have at least a fair shot at getting a passing mark on the assignment. I’ll let you know how things are progressing soon.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts