Scatter Shooting with Scattered Brains

Funny how time flies – and I’m not even having fun.

Life has a funny way of throwing you a curve ball when you least expect it. I’ll just cut to the chase. My father was diagnosed with cancer in October 2014. It caught all of us off guard, but he was optimistic, as the initial prognosis suggested that he could win this fight. But you know doctors are…they’re right…they’re wrong…they’re guessing…and at the end, you realize that it’s more or less a roll of the dice with any of this stuff.  Last summer, the doctors announced that my father was in remission. In January, the cancer came back with a vengeance. Now he’s gone. It seemed that there was a swift and sudden decline in his condition. I was just on the phone with him having a very deep conversation. Two weeks later he was rushed to the hospital. Two weeks after that, it was over.

I missed my Risk Management exam in the interim, although I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been able to concentrate long enough to take the exam had I not traveled. Now, I’m trying to get re acclimated to my studies, but I have to admit that it’s still a bit tough. Unfortunately, the world doesn’t stop during moments of individual personal crises, so I’ll just have to get it together.

You know, one of the last things my father said to me was that he was proud of me for the man I’ve grown to be, and he mentioned my pursuit of my MSc as a specific reason for that. Gee, talk about putting pressure on a guy. I suppose now I need to get over the pain and make him proud.

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts