Three Tips For Freelancers

It’s funny how certain words have certain connotations, isn’t it? I mean, we give words meaning based upon certain contexts, and these meanings inform our subsequent usage and understanding of these words. For example: freelancer.

It is amazing to me that so many people still don’t hold freelancers in the same regard as entrepreneurs, when, in fact, there is little discernable difference between the two. As the freelance economy continues to grow, the reality is that you, or someone you know, will take on freelance work by 2025 or hire someone for a freelance project. This is particularly true for students or recent graduates who need to get some experience in a new field in order to land a good job or even determine if a particular career path is suitable for them. So, what gives?

I think the free in freelance confuses people sometimes. It’s kind of like the way many Americans understood the word entrepreneur in the 80’s: they thought it was a French word that meant unemployed street hustler, thanks to Eddie Murphy’s (in)famous SNL sketch. Similarly, some people misunderstand freelancers as individuals who can be had on the cheap because they lack the requisite experience or qualifications to be employed at a reputable company. Therein lies the problem. Unfortunately, though, this perception is often fostered by freelancers, themselves.

These are my suggestions for anyone hoping to get a fair shake while freelancing:

1. Know Your Worth. As a freelancer, you have valuable skills that intelligent and reasonable clients will pay for. Commoditize your experience and focus your potential clients’ attention on the value you will deliver in exchange for your market-rate fees. If you start out giving huge discounts and charging next to nothing for your services, you have devalued your worth and run the risk of having to further compromise yourself in order to get repeat or referral business.

Study the market. Interview other freelancers who offer the same services and find out what they charge for the value they deliver. If you need to upskill in order to be able to charge on the high end of the market range, then do so. At the end of the day, freelancer doesn’t mean ‘works for free.’ Unless you are a circus elephant, you shouldn’t be working for peanuts.

2. Avoid Verbal Diarrhea. Sometimes, when people are still not yet comfortable demanding their worth, they fall into the trap of trying to over-explain every minute detail of the work they will do for a client. This is so unnecessary, and smacks of inexperienced unprofessionalism. The reality is that the client is hiring you to do a job, so their focus is on quality, cost, and deadline. Most business owners know nothing about what is involved in building an app for their website; they only care that it works the way they want it to. Killing them with too many details is a time-waster for everyone involved. Face it: if the client knew enough about the project to follow your spiel through all the minutiae, they could do the project themselves and wouldn’t need to hire you.
  3. Don’t Be a Hero. Sure, it probably makes for a nice chat over coffee with your friends when you tell them how you single handedly built an entire digital presence for a client whose business was sinking faster than a hippo on a life preserver, but the reality is that since you are being hired to do a project with a defined scope, stick to the agreement, as the client will assuredly not pay you more simply because you volunteered to give more.Further, because you will have deadline pressure for the agreed upon body of work, you run the risk of compromising quality by taking on extra tasks. At the end of the project, you will have exhausted yourself doing too much unnecessary work and your compensation will not reflect your additional efforts.

Keep in mind that while some people freelance with the idea that doing so will eventually lead to a full-time business opportunity, most freelancers do not. Freelancing as a side hustle or a way to expand the breadth of your experience while developing new skills is a great way to foster your own development. Just be sure that while you’re doing that, you don’t get taken advantage of.

hire-professional-web-design-company-freelance-designer-2

Ismail

About Ismail

Hi, I'm Ismail. I'm an American living abroad while trying to figure out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I love sports, particularly American football and martial arts, and when I'm not working at one of my four jobs, you will likely find me in the gym lifting really heavy stuff. I'm a distance learning MSc Finance student, and I'll be happy to share my journey with you while trying to maintain some semblance of sanity.

View more posts by Ismail

Subscribe to Ismail's posts