Living in Halls

This time last year I lived in Beaumont hall and so I thought I’d talk about living in halls of residence, and why it’s great to stay with so many other students in your first year. 
Like most people,  halls was my first time living away from home and there are quite a lot of changes. I’m so glad I decided to stay in catered halls, as it meant that at least I didn’t have to tackle cooking for another year.  I really missed my cooked breakfast every morning when I moved into a private house in September!
I remember sitting in my room on my first day, wondering whether anyone would talk to me, and if I’d meet friends. Luckily, I wasn’t sitting there for long, as everyone else was thinking the same, and came out to say hello. As I went further through the year , I realised that the great thing about halls is that there’s always a friend to talk to if you just go down the corridor and knock on their door. It is why I would recommend the Oadby village in your first year. For those of you who don’t know, it’s a lovely leafy green area about two miles from the university right next door to the botanical gardens.
I worried about the distance between halls and univeristy before I arrived, however it turned out I needn’t have bothered. I cycled in every morning, and not only was it a great way to keep fit, but it only took me 10 minutes. In fact I wake up earlier this year to walk from my house near the centre!
Halls are the best way of adjusting to independent living, as there is always help available if you need it, and no matter how stressful your day has been,there’s something great about coming home and dinner already prepared.  It’s also the perfect way to make friends with so many different people together, that there’s bound to be somebody who likes the same things you do!

Jenny

About Jenny

Jenny graduated from the University in Summer 2013.

View more posts by Jenny

Subscribe to Jenny's posts